Date:      18 Jan 2001 10:03:09 -0500
From:      Derek Tattersall <dlt@mebtel.net>
To:        Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Athlon and 4.2 Release

Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com> writes:

> I strongly suspect its an IRQ conflict. Every problem of this sort
> that I've seen with the A7V has been an IRQ conflict, including the
> problem I had with my own. Specificly I had to hard set the IRQ on my
> NIC through the PCI management section of the bios.
>
> Derek Tattersall wrote:
>
> > I have a 1 GHz Thunderbird (Athlon) on an ASUS A7V Via KT133 chipset
> > with an IBM ultra 100 30 Gig Hard drive.  If I let the HDD be auto
> > detected, 4.2 Release terminates at the point it is going to
> > partition the drive.  If I set the HDD for LBA with all the options
> > disabled,
> > it reboots in the middle of the boot sequence, after the "press enter
> > to boot now prompt".
> > Has anybody got configuration suggestions for this combination that
> > could get FreeBSD installed?
> > Thanks in advance...
>

> --
> Drew Sanford
> Systems Administrator
> drew@planetwe.com

It certainly is an IRQ conflict between the 3C905B NIC and the promise
controller.  I could install and reboot just fine with the NIC
removed.
I tried setting different IRQs for the NIC (in slot 3) but the BIOS
always put the promise controller on the same IRQ.

More research is required.

I think I'll see if I can borrow a NIC from work, a totally different
brand and see what happens.
--
Derek Tattersall			dlt@mebtel.net