Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 15:06:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, karl@mcs.com, current@freebsd.org, peter@haywire.DIALix.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP target for -STABLE, and setup for SUP info?

> > This is getting frustrating, and I'm running out of time and patience.
> > Perhaps this isn't the path we want to go down with our operating system
> > choice.
> >
> > I'm going to give this another week of effort, and if we don't have it
> > stable by then I'm tossing in the towel and going to start on the evaluation
> > process again from scratch.  This is costing me far too much sleep.
>
> I understand.  Please do also understand that we are doing everything
> we can to work with you on this and don't have many people who are
> actually paid to do this kind of work.  Progress is therefore
> constrained by whatever free time the members have to devote to it.
>
> If do we manage to get these problems worked out for you before you
> pull the ejection handle, perhaps it's time to think about moving
> FreeBSD Inc's support-for-money plans forward.  If I could afford to
> hire just ONE serious systems hacker to look into problems like this
> full-time, it would be a significant help.  We just need to figure out
> how willing the various commercial users like yourself are to to
> underwrite such an effort.
>
> This also isn't an attempt on my part to put the screws to anyone,
> this is simply an honest assessment of our current state affairs.  I
> would love to be able to throw someone at your problem full-time, but
> that's a luxury I don't really have with a volunteer crew, nor can I
> expect people to jump at the crack of a whip.  This is problem that
> isn't going to go away and will, in fact, only get worse as more
> commercial interests move to FreeBSD.  I would welcome your (or anyone
> else's) suggestions.
>
> 					Jordan

I'm happy to pay for *actual* support which I receive, but my feel on this
is that I am not going to pay for a staffer full-time if the work that he or
she produces goes back to *everyone*.

That is, I won't pay for everyone *else*'s fix.  But I will pay a reasonable
support charge *if and only if* I get actual fixes to problems like this in
a contemporary fashion.

If someone wants to start up a firm that does this kind of thing, I say more
power to them.  However, my willingness to pay is directly correlated to the
quality of the fixes and the timeliness of what we receive.

If I'm going to pay big bucks, then I want the fixes (and the rest of that
person's time) to myself.  If its much more reasonable, then so am I.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's *Three STAR A* Clarinet feed!