Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 10:14:05 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net
Cc:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current locks my machine frequently

> > I wonder whether I'm the only one, because 1.5 weeks ago I also
> > changed my motherboard, so that might have something to do with it
> > too. I now use a motherboard with a Ali chipset and a Pentium
> > 200MMX. It runs without crashes under WinNT however (though
> > applications sometimes crash but that's pretty normal in WinNT).
>
> No, you're definitely not the only one :-(
>
> John Dyson made some changes last night that I had hoped would finally
> fix the problem, but I just had the machine lock up again a few minutes
> ago.  It always seems to occur when X is running (usually when Netscape
> starts to swap heavily).

Odd; I'm running -current on a very memory-short laptop, under X, using
netscape/emacs/exmh, and it thrashes pretty solidly but certainly
hasn't fallen over yet.

I *have* noticed these odd pauses where all filesystem activity seems
to block for a few seconds (maybe 10 or so).  It's not disk spin-up
either.  This includes procfs activity, so I can't use ps to find out
what's going on.
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\