Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:42:42 -0800
From:      "joshua lokken" <joshlokken@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        james_mapson@umpquanet.com
Subject:   Re: Routing problem

>From which interface?  Try these:
>
>ping google.com
>(that will ping using the external interface)
>>ping -S 10.0.0.1 google.com
>(that will ping using the internal interface)
>
>If one works, but not the other, post your firewall
>rules and natd command line.

Hello,

The FreeBSD machine is simply passing traffice for
the time being, no ipfw, no NAT.  I know the name,
ut not much mre about the DSL modem I was given.It's an ARESCOM800, and the
service is **wince**
MSN DSL.  The modem has a very simple html display
that gives me the very basics; modem IP (192.168.1.1),
netmask (255.255.255.252) and external IP.

rl0 is the modem-facing interface (external) on a
FreeBSD 4.9 "gateway".  de0 is the LAN-facing
(internal) interface on the same machine. /etc/rc.conf
says:

ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
ifconfig_de0="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway_enable="YES"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"

I can reach the outside world from both intrefaces on the
gateway.  rl0 is configured thusly (automatically via DHCP):
inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.252, with a default
gateway of 192.168.1.1.

Clients are configured as follows:
inet 10.0.0.x
netmask 255.255.255.0
defaultrouter 10.0.0.1

>From a client machine on the 10.0.0.0 network, I can ping
both de0 and rl0 on the gateway, but I cannot get any traffic
past rl0 to the cable modem from the LAN client.  That is
where my minimal understanding of routing ends.  I do not
know why I cannot pass traffic to the modem and out.  I
hope this makes my problem clearer, thanks for the help.

After following up on the above reply, I find that I cannot
ping out from the LAN interface (de0, 10.0.0.1).  Hmmm,
and again, no ipfw or NAT on the FreeBSD firewall.

Joshua

Browse styles for all ages, from the latest looks to cozy weekend wear at
MSN Shopping.  And check out the beauty products! http://shopping.msn.com