Date:      23 Dec 97 08:48:22 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec AHA-2842A troubles

I have gotten an used 2842A, but it doesn't work.
I can get into the SCSISelect-menu (ctrl-A), and ajust all sorts of parameters. It also properly scans the bus whithout devices, but when a device is connected, i just get a <scsi inquiry timeout>.

The device is properly terminated, and works on both my infamous 1542A and 1505A. I've tried all sorts of settings in the adaptec-bios, and also tried putting the adaptor in the middle between two terminated disks.

The guy who sold me the adaptor said it didn't work on his motherboard, but did on others. I have a ami 486.

Can anybody confirm that an 2842 might work on some boards, and not on other?

(This might not be a fbsd-question, because I haven't booted in any os yet)

The 2842 can co-exist with the 1542A, and utilities like scsifmt can find the adapter, but they also come to a grinding halt when trying to access the bus.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---