Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:36:41 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious performance issue with 2.2.5-RELEASE

> I upgraded my web server to 2.2.5 from 2.2.2-stable, dated sometime in
> July.
>
> Big mistake.

Perhaps, though if any clear mistakes were made here, it was in the
transition process itself, it still remaining for me to be convinced
that 2.2.5 itself is the culprit or I think I'd be hearing a lot more
reports like this, especially from the 2.2.5 based web sites at some
of the various ISPs I help maintain directly myself.

The clear mistake was in hot-upgrading a production machine rather
than installing/upgrading a 2nd box (or, at the very minimum, a second
disk with / and /usr on it) and doing the cut-over as a staged
exercise.  Then if you'd seen the 2.2.5 problem here, you'd have
simply switched back to the previous setup and given yourself the
breathing room to puzzle over the new problem scenario at your
leisure.  Doing it the way you just did it is, frankly, about as
completely and utterly wrong as it's possible to do things in an ISP
environment and various protruding parts of you now need to be
slapped, if you have someone around to provide this helpful service
for you, so that you don't do something this criminally stupid in a
production environment again. :-)

As for your "weird pauses", that's the first I've heard of any such
symptoms and would strongly recommend that you start trying to collect
data during those pauses as to whether it's the interface, DNS,
routes, what exactly "hangs" at the lowest level of this.

					Jordan