Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:00:06 +0000
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   file types

I am reading a unix book - Using Unix 3rd Ed by Kuo - and have a
question regarding file types. He mentions the two main types of block
device files are character and block. He also mentions that block
devices are generally such things as hard drives, cd drives, etc. These
file name start with a b, according to the text. I look at my /dev
directory and don't see anything with a b, they all start with a c,
indicating they are character devices, this includes all my ad0 and ad1
file names.

crw-r-----  2 root  operator  116, 0x00020002 Feb  9 13:10 ad0s1
crw-r-----  2 root  operator  116, 0x00020000 Feb  9 13:10 ad0s1a

Any ideas why this is? Shouldn't these be brw-r-----?
(hope this is okay on chat, didn't think it was important enough for
-questions)--
Chip W
www.wiegand.org
chip@wiegand.org