Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:29:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, chris@freebsd.org, rwatson@freebsd.org, sheldonh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New rc.d init script roadmap

--ELM1003440599-5614-0_

Hi,

I've prepared a status report about this project. the xml file in
attachment have to be reviewed since I've just put descriptions
from FreeBSD-rc's Yahoo! Group and your email message.

first of all, there should be a consensus about the owner of
this project ? also, who create the FreeBSD-rc's Yahoo! Group ?

then you have to submit a status report to avoid duplicates
work...

I also done some stuffs on this some months ago, but I have
to review it. don't remember the status of my job... :(

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net

--ELM1003440599-5614-0_

<!-- $FreeBSD$ -->

<project>
  <title>Improving FreeBSD startup scripts</title>

  <contact>
    <person>
      <name>
	<given>Doug Barton</given>

	<common>Commiter</common>
      </name>

      <email>DougB@FreeBSD.org</email>
    </person>
    <person>
      <name>
	<given>Gordon Tetlow</given>

	<common>Contributor</common>
      </name>

      <email>gordont@gnf.org</email>
    </person>
  </contact>

  <links>
    <!-- A hypertext link with a description... -->
    <url href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreeBSD-rc/">Improving FreeBSD startup scripts</url>
    <url href="http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~lukem/bibliography.html">Luke Mewburn's papers</url>
    <url href="http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/rc/">NetBSD Initialization and Services Control</url>
  </links>

       FreeBSD, primarily the scripts in /etc/rc*. Primary focus
       will be on improvements and importation of NetBSD's excellent
       work on this topic.</p>

    <-- from Pine.LNX.4.33.0110180824570.30874-200000@smtp.gnf.org -->
       together a roadmap for the migration to the new rc.d init
       scripts that were imported from NetBSD a long time ago and
       just sat in the tree.</p>

       Setup infrastructure<br>
       Make rcorder compile<br>
       Hook rc.subr into the distribution (and mergemaster)<br>
       Hook rcorder into the world<br>
       Add toggle in rc.conf to switch between rc_ng and current
       boot scripts</p>

       Get FreeBSD to boot with the new boot scripts<br>
       Rewrite the /etc/rc.d scripts to work with FreeBSD</p>

       Add some FreeBSD specific support into rc.subr</p>

       Add true dependency checking to the infrastructure so that
       starting nfsd will start mountd and rpcbind<br>
       Add support into rc.subr<br>
       Add dependencies into rc.d scripts</p>

       I'll submit a pr for it if there aren't too many objections.
       I'm expecting M2 to run into quite a bikeshed, but hey, I
       got my nice shiny asbestos back from the cleaners.</p>
</project>

--ELM1003440599-5614-0_--