Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:20:49 -0700
From:      Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

Previously:
>Java is here to stay whether we like it or not  [...]

Is this REALLY true?  I mean, will Java continue to be a "force"?
Or is this just another phrase from the spin doctors?  Lots of people
have sworn that lots of languages were the end all of programming -
look at lisp/scheme, ada, visual basic...  (All have loyal followers,
but how much of a "force" are they?  ...well, visual basic...  hmmm...)

What is The Real Deal(tm) with Java anyway?  Once you get through
the hype, is Java anything more than C++ without pointers?  If the
world becomes dependent upon applets, then maybe Java has a place,
but when everyone realizes that it is just the mainframe mentality
repackaged for the nineties, will it really last?  Do we really want
to be dependent upon some server somewhere for what are really just
throw-away viewers?  Do we even have the bandwidth to do it?  Heck,
I can't stand using graphical web browsers because of the HUGE noise
to content ratio now!  I'm not sure I want to wait for some inane little
applet to transfer...  If I need it, I would rather take the time to set
up a viewer once and know what functions it provides rather than wait
for some latest and greatest viewer to be transferred, used and thrown
away...

Am I just a stick-in-the-mud?  (Or have I just been reading too many
William Shatner Tek novels lately?)

-Doug

...who remembers buying the "Smart" system back in 1986 - an integrated
suite of applications, word processor, spreadsheet, database, macro
language, etc - that ran on a PC with 640K, 20MB hard disk...  Now-a-days
we have integrated suites of applications that won't run in 8MB RAM or
100MB of disk!  And are we any more productive??????  (But gee, the apps
look so pretty!)

Doug Wellington
doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey, Tucson, AZ Project Office

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...?

FreeBSD and Apache - the best real tools for the virtual world!
Check out www.freebsd.org and www.apache.org...

Just say NO to Netscape Navigator!