From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux-Emulation (in general) and ADSM/TSM client

Hi,

I seem to be running in problems using the Linux Runtime
Environment.

uname:
FreeBSD atrbg11.informatik.tu-muenchen.de 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0:
Tue May 30 15:22:03 CEST 2000
root@atrbg11.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ATRBG11  i386

(just updated, make world as well and cvsupped before).

I want to get the linux version of the adsm/tsm clients running
(IBM's storage manager/Backup-system).

Now the client coredumps with abort(), as it cannot find any
of the shared libs required. (linux_base-6.1 is installed of course)
ldd tells me, it looks in /lib/.. instead of /compat/linux/lib etc
and complaint not to find e.g. libcrypt.so.1.
If I preset LD_LIBRARY_PATH with /compat/linux/lib:...
it just a minor improvement, as it then complains not
beeing able to find the ld-linux.so.2 dynamic linker, (which is
of course present in /compat/linux/lib). A link from
/compat/linux/lib to /lib solves that step (but seems unintended
and ugly anyway) but doesn't really help, as it then crashes in
__kill (well whatever).

This all gives me the impression, that although the binaries are
branded (brandelf -t Linux), the loader doesn't look at the right
place. I thought about chroot, but this didn't work as it somehow
still can't find the libs in /compat/linux/lib (then /lib as
chrooted). linux ldconfig seems to show that the cache is
set up correcly. Anyway, it wouldn't help, since I couln't access
the other filesystems for backup (the whole purpose).

Any ideas ?

If you are so kind, please put my personal email on cc: as
I'm not subscribed to the lists, I will have a look at the
archives, though.

Thanks for helping,
 best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                      - May His Shadow fall upon thee -
RL: Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 8540017 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/