Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:06:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple network setup help

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, John Kenagy wrote:

> Yes it is a cable connection. Since posting the first message, I got the
> FreeBSD system to work rather easily. It pings the other card and
> reports the cards address correctly. But, I cannot ping from the NT side.

Cable as in coax, you mean?

It sounds like the drop cord isn't working properly.  Are you sure it was
crimped properly?

> The NT machine has an ftp server running but I cannot ftp into it.
> ("permission denied") I think I must have messed up the NT install. It
> acts as though it doesn't know there is another machine out there.
> I think I'll scrap the idea and run FreeBSD and keep all the win/dos
> stuff on a partition.

I like that.  :)  {suppress NT-bash reaction}

> Do you have any coments about a Toshiba 4x CDROM on an atapi IDE interface?
> Or a Soundblaster 16? I'm guessing these have a good chance of working
> with 2.2.1R I've ordered.

Pretty good.  With some fiddling it should work.  If it doesn't find it
outright, try moving it to the slave position on the primary controller.