Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 19:05:52 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCP Vegas/TCP lite patches...

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > There's a good paper on this out there by the X Kernel guys.  They say
> > the 4.4 networking code is significantly slower than the 4.3, and they
> > tell why (and what to do about it).
>
> By popular and racous demand:
>
> 	ftp://ftp.cs.arizona.edu/xkernel/Papers/tcp_problems.ps

Thanks for that, Terry; makes for interesting reading.

The obvious question then is : Have these changes been implemented?
If yes, neat!  If not, is there any reason other than 'nobody dumb enough
has stood up & done it?'

If that's all, I'd be game to try it as soon as I can get the CTM
megapatch to apply to my source tree (I suspect that coz I have 2.0.5
ALPHA it's not happy, but ctm simply stops with "exit(80)", which
is puzzling...  (there's no reference to '80' in the source, nor
EAUTH, nor indeed 'exit'... ramble.  I hope things will be better
when I can dump the 2.0.5-RELEASE code off the CD).

And to the second topic; the referenced paper talks about TCP Vegas, and
sample code for same can be found at the same place, as well as another
interesting paper discussing it at some length.
I suspect that implementation of this may be beyond my khacking ability,
(first look only) but again, if nobody else is game, I'll give it a try.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[