Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 23:34:12 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Rick Bischoff <bischoff@rickjr.org>
Cc:        stable-digest <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: S2460 problems

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:21:42AM -0500, Rick Bischoff wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>       Ok, yesterday, I announced my problem-- here is a recap.
>
>       I have a S2460 Tyan Tiger motherboard, with dual AMD 1700 XP+
>       processors, 512 MB ecc RAM, a 40 GB western digital ata 100 and
>       a 30 GB western digital ata 100.  The video card is an el-cheapo
>       GeForce2 MX and the sound card is a sound blaster live! 5.1.
>       The network card is an Intel EtherPro something or other.
>
>       This system in its entirity works perfectly under Windows.  Both
>       CPUs are functioning properly it seems.
>
>       However, when I installed FreeBSD onto either drive, the entire
>       system hard locks at random times.  What is a hard lock?  Well,
>       I can't type anything in, I can't telnet or ssh in and I sure as
>       heck can't figure out why it crashed.  I have the same problems
>       using SuSE 7.3 Linux.
>
>       I tried changing the MP spec in the BIOS from 1.4 to 1.1
>       compatibility, but it still hard locked.  I was able to compile
>       a 4.4 Stable kernel and boot into that, but soon after it hard
>       locked just the same.
>
>       One fellow suggested flashing the BIOS.  Another suggested
>       replacing the power supply-- my question is: Why does it work
>       perfect under Windows if its a hardware problem?  If anyone has
>       had any kind of success with this motherboard I would like to
>       know.

I got 4 systems with these boards a couple of months ago.  I have not
had any problems at all.  Each system has 2 1200MHz Athlon MP processors
with 256MB of DDR memory, a 40GB IBM ATA/100 7200RPM drive , a Matrox
G450 video card, and a 3Com 3c905 Ethernet card.  None of them have
sound cards.  I can get more specific details when I get back to work on
Friday if you need them.

One question: You stated that you were using "dual AMD 1700 XP+
processors".  Did you mean to say MP processors?

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net