Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:30:37 -0800
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vinum, MYSQL, and small transaction sizes.

I've been experimenting with vinum striping as a means of improving MYSQL
performance, and am having some odd results.

Running a particular workload and a particular set of disks, at overload
iostat shows the disk doing about 185 tps, and about 8KB/t.  When I run the
workload on a 256k striped volume made up of two drives, I'm finding that
each drive does about 95 tps.  I've also run the tests with slower drives,
which do 155 tps for the single-drive test, and 80 tps for the striped
test.

I didn't expect to double the tps of the entire system - but getting no
increase at all seems very suspect.  Based on the transaction sizes iostat
is reporting, I have tried restriping with 8k stripes, which gives me about
105 tps per disk, which is marginally better.  Going the other direction,
with 1m stripes, gave the same results as for 256k stripes.

In an attempt to isolate the problem, I tried cat'ing very large files in
parallel.  The files were large enough to not fit in memory, and I ran four
cat commands at the same time on different files.  I found that running
them all from a single disk gave 380tps (24M/s), running 4 on one drive and
4 on the other gave 200tps (12M/s) for each drive, 400tps (24M/s)
aggregate, and running them on a 256k volume striped across the disks gave
100tps (6M/s) for each drive, 200tps (12M/s) aggregate.

Given past experience with the Linux md driver, I really really really
suspect I'm missing something.  But I couldn't tell you what.  Running
under FreeBSD3.3-RELEASE.

Later,
scott