Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Teemu.Parkkinen@patria.fi
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Digital-tv card drivers and API discussion

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 Teemu.Parkkinen@patria.fi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am about to write a digital tv-driver for my dvb-c -card. Because
> FreeBSD does not yet have any dvb-devices and I don't have any prior
> driver development experience, I have a couple of questions for you.
>
> 1) Should we use Linux-DVB API as a reference, or should we consider
> some changes to it? The API seems to be constantly changing and
> improving. Version 3 is available here:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/download/dvb/linux-dvb-api-1.0.0.pdf but they are
> currently working on version 4. In my opinion, the API should be
> minimal, but complete, so there is no need to constantly add new
> features to it.

Please check in with the freebsd-multimedia mailing list before you start.
They were working on a new vidoe API and this sort of thing would slot
into it nicely.  The bktr developers hang out there and can assist you
with issues specific to video hardware.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org