Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:21:30 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        "Mike McGranahan" <mikemcg@ucla.edu>
Cc:        cls@raggedclown.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual booting FreeBSD 4.7 and Windows XP

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:23:36 -0800
"Mike McGranahan" <mikemcg@ucla.edu> wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 05:06:44AM -0800, Mike McGranahan wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I would like to know what is the best way to dual boot FreeBSD 4.7
> > > and Windows XP?
[snip]
> > Grub works fine with FreeBSD and Windows XP.  [...]
> > Remember that Windows only really likes to be booted off of the
> > first hard disk, but there is a little trick with Grub (and I gues
> > with my most bootloaders) that fools it into thinking that even if
> > it is on the second disk it is told it is on the first.
>
> Windows XP likes to be booted off the first disk?  Can you elaborate?
> After reading the earlier response by Jerry McAllister, I was planning
> on setting the first/boot disk to my 10GB/blank drive in the BIOS,
> installing FreeBSD on that 10GB disk, and using the FreeBSD loader to
> control the booting (with the ???? entry for Windows XP).  Would
> Windows XP have trouble booting in such a fashion, not off the first
> disk?

Just leave Windows on the first disk if you want to use the FreeBSD
bootloader.  FreeBSD doesn't mind booting off the second disk at all.

> It looks like if I were to proceed with this configuration, I would
> have to keep the 20GB/Windows XP drive as the first/boot disk, and
> replacing the Windows XP loader with GRUB...  This would work right?
[snip]

I can't remember whether you can install Grub as the bootloader in that
situation.  It's been too long away for me - you'll have to read the
manual.  A configuration that is slightly more complicated but I know
will work is to use Grub's map command in the menu.lst file to, as Cliff
says, fool XP into thinking it lives on the first BIOS disk when it is
really on the second.

Jud