Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 13:26:00 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, lc001@yahoo.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about Packet Filter

In some mail from Jason Thorpe, sie said:

> On Thu, 21 May 1998 16:36:19 -0700
>  Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:
>
>  > > 1. Are the ipfilter tools using divert() function that Mike and Dan
>  > > mentioned available in somewhere?
>  >
>  > ipfilter is Darren Reed's in-kernel firewall product.
>  >
>  > divert(4) is a FreeBSD-native feature.  It is not, to the best of my
>  > knowledge, emulated by anything else.
>
> Uh... doens't IP Filter implement a divert(4)-like feature?

Sort of.  divert(4) provides complete packets through a socket(2)
interface, so if you want to do NAT or anything else with divert(4),
you incur the overhead of at least two context switches.

IP Filter does as much as it can inside the kernel, with trapping to
userland only for authentication of packets..

Darren