Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:17:12 -0500
From:      Steve Wingate <s.wingate@cox.net>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>, Paulo Roberto <nirv199@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: dhcp option to *not* overwrite /etc/resolv.conf

> > I have read the man pages, searched a few forums, but I did not found a
> > way to prevent dhcp to do not change my /etc/resolv.conf. I do not have
> > access to the dhcp server configuration, so I need to change it on my
> > client. I also tried to chmod it to only read mode, but that did not
> > work out. Any tips?

Depending what it is you want to not be overwritten you should be able to achieve the desired results throught supersede and/or prepend statements in dhcp.conf.
OpenBSD supports use of a resolv.conf.tail file that also hold entries you don't want overwritten (no idea about FreeBSD).

Work like you don't need the money
Dance like nobody's watching
Love like you've never been hurt