Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:41:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>, "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not gzip iso images?

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> If our intent was to make installation a living hell, then yes this an
> excellent idea. An ISO is a single file to download / burn and is the
> most straightforward way of making your installation media.
>
> Everyone from the guru to the warez monkey understands burning an ISO.

This is a stupid thread :)

I was replying to someone who claimed (something like) that being able to
download an ISO was the best solution for a box which doesn't have direct
net access (or somehting like that, don't flame me if I got it wrong).
Nobody is advocating removing either the ISO or the binary install
path..I've just been trying to point out that you don't always have to
download the ISO and in fact it's probably a waste to do so unless you
have good connectivity.

I wonder if there are some people who have been talking about ISO images
on the lists lately who don't realise you can install FreeBSD with much
reduced download requirements.

Can we move this thread to -chat where it belongs?

Kris

----