Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 22:07:34 +0200 (EET)
From:      Juha Inkari <inkari@snakemail.hut.fi>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   3c590

I tried a PCI version of 3com's Etherlink III (3c590).

I found it to loose packets, when pinging with bigger than 64 byte
packet size. Packet lossage would typically be 7% with 128 byte sized
packets, up to 60% with 256 byte sized packets, and nothing comes
through with 1k packets.

I have a version of the card, which the vx driver complains about
("Warning! Defective early revision adapter!"). The source describes
first revision of the adapters having "receive overrun anomaly".  Can
anyone elaborate on this? Also what arguments I might use to prove
that the card does not work when returning this piece (I'll go for
SMC-8432 - now I have as a temporary fix a 3c509 which does seem to
work).