Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:54:13 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@panix.com>
Cc:        Robert Leftwich <freebsd@rtl.fmailbox.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory leak?

On Feb 13, 2006, at 4:40 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
>> Unfortunately no, its cli only, no x, pretty much just Postgres and
>> Python and C :-(
>
> I've seen (very, very, very, very) large memory leaks on long-lived
> Python processes.  I haven't looked at it to figure out if it's
> python, some module, or the application doing something stupid.  But
> the processes will grow until they hit their limits.

For contrast, I've got a Python-based daemon which handles 100K to 1
million logfile lines a day and spits them into a processing/
reporting system using either XMLRPC or SOAP, and it stays up for
months without leaking memory or changing in size.

As I said earlier, "top -o size" will identify the process(es) which
is/are using excessive memory.

--
-Chuck