Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 1998 10:35:14 -0600
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   GTK ports -- a recommendation

Hi,

Much as we've experienced with Tcl/Tk, we need to be able to
have multiple versions of GTK installed on a system.  Currently
the gtk and gtk11 ports can be installed concurrently, except for
one detail.   GTK applications use a script called gtk-config at
build time to determine the location of headers and libraries.
Currently, both the gtk and gtk11 port install this script, meaning
that whichever was installed last will be the one that is picked
up by applications.

I suggest that the current gtk port be renamed gtk10, and that
it install gtk10-config.  Similarly, the gtk11 port should install
gtk11-config.    Perhaps the last port installed could also make
a gtk-config symlink.

All ports that depend on GTK should then be updated to use the
correct script (gtk10-config or gtk11-config).

For most ports, this will just require frobbing the configure.in
or aclocal.m4 file (e.g. s/gtk-config/gtk10-config/).

If folks feel comfortable with this suggestion, I'll go through
the ports and fix them.  If you don't like the idea, or have other
comments, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org