Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 22:58:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "S(pork)" <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Daniel B Giffin <daniel@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com509B-Combo ethernet card

I've recently used the 3c509B(combo/UTP only) on a few machines with no
problems, although I prepared ahead by reading up on it...  Check out your
startup messages (the "dmesg" command will show them once your up) to see
what's taking what IRQ's.  Most likely you'll see some conflicts.  If you
boot into DOS with a boot disk and then run the 3Com setup utility, you
can turn off PNP and set the IRQ to where the kernel is looking.  If that
doesn't work, make a list of what's found where, use any config utilities
for any cards your have to set IRQs out of conflict, then use the boot -c
option and manually set IRQs and base addresses as necessary...

Charles