Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:03:42 -0800
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can YOU do?

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 11:23:04AM -0700, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > 	We have a head start with SMP, CAM, etc. We should and
> > 	must take advantage of that. Our system is more stable, we got
> > 	examples of it, and we must tell others about it.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > 	You want to do advocacy? Go for it. Just do it. Don't ask anyone
> > 	permission - it is you and only YOU who can do it. IOW: go for it.
>
> And if you have a PERSONAL example where things have worked out for you
> well w/ FreeBSD (or Open or Net) please write it up and send it in to
> Daemon News - we had one this month and I have another on tap for next
> month.
>
> Send this, or any BSD-related article, to
>
> 	article@daemonnews.org

	I already write short note for DN :) (I might write more if/when
	I get an idea/time).

	I guess we can have "What I did this month" column where people
	can write about what they did to promote *BSD. Can you bring
	up this idea on DN mailing list if you think it's worth it?
	We can even have friendly competition between three BSDs to see
	which camp has done more advocacy (on the honor system I guess).

	An example of a "personal" advocacy is giving talks which in one
	way or another involve FreeBSD. Writing polite letter to other
	authors who write about Unix/Open Source. Writing (and trying to
	get published) articles. Talking to profs if you are a student and
	talking to other students who seem to have a clue. Catching
	press at the computer events and not giving up w/o some promise
	of taking a look at FreeBSD. All those little things add up IMHO.

-- Yan

I don't have the password .... + Jan Koum
But the path is chainlinked .. | Spelled Jan, pronounced Yan. There.
So if you've got the time .... | Web: http://www.best.com/~jkb
Set the tone to sync ......... + OS: http://www.FreeBSD.org