Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 16:29:05 -0800
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@aero.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using the "Package Installation" sysinstall menu item

	I recently upgraded my 2.0.5 system to 2.1 and it all went very well
until I took a careful bead on my foot and blew off a couple of toes.

	/stand/sysinstall has a menu item for package installation.  That
sure looked handy, so, once the "2.0.5 upgrade" menu item completed, and
I finished merging /etc and typed ^D to the shell (which resulted in an
immediate Trap Type 15 panic, by the way, which went by too blazingly fast
to read the details) and rebooted 2.1 from the disk, I decided I'd like to
get back into sysinstall and do that package menu item.

	This didn't work, big-time.  I got messages from the kernel as
soon as I tried to run /stand/sysinstall under the shell, and I found no
way of convincing sysinstall that my cdrom existed, though it worked fine
under 2.1.  Yes, I mounted it on /cdrom.  (Should I perhaps have mounted
it under /mnt?)

	I tried rebooting from the 2.1 boot floppy I'd made, and picked
the labeler to mount the file systems, and then picked 'Complete partition/
labeling activites', at which point the thing tried to reinstall the system
completely until I called a forcible halt to the proceedings via ^C.  At that
point I got to restore a bunch of merged files that had been clobbered.

	What's the right way to get sysinstall running again, to install
packages from the menu?  Sure would beat installing them by hand via pkg_add.

Mike O'Brien