Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:16:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org>
To:        Brian Chew <bgchew@securenet.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USRobotic 28.8 vi Modem Troubles

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Brian Chew wrote:

> Hello!
> I am looking for some info to get a 28.8 Sportster VI  modem to make
> connection and stay online with out loosing carrier. Unless the modem
> makes a 14.4 connection it looses carrier when I call the Internet there
> seems to be a compatibility problem does anyone know where it is? Is it
> my modem or the modem at the other end? I am getting frustrated and have
> contacted USRobotics and it hasn't helped and the guy on the Server at
> my connection says it's my modem, apparently there was a problem with
> older USRobotic 28.8's but it's not supposed to be a problem with the
> new ones...

I know this isn't particularily relevant to FreeBSD, so perhaps we should
move the discussion into isp@freebsd.org.

Nevertheless, this is very strange, not 30 seconds ago did I receive a
message from one of my users describing a very similar problem.

I'm using Sportster and Courrier USR products, and I have decided to wait
until there is a known good relase of the 33.6 sportsters before
upgrading my units.  Another local provider bought 150 sportsters only to
find out that they lock up regularly!   USR seems quite unwilling to help
them out, and were told to "wait for the next SW release".

I smell a bug...

Andrew Webster  - andrew@pubnix.net - http://www.pubnix.net
PubNIX Montreal - Connected to the world - Branche au monde
 514-990-5911   - P.O. Box 147, Cote St-Luc, Quebec, H4V 2Y3