Date:      Sat, 25 Dec 1999 11:23:17 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: does something like time of time spent on-line exist?

Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Kent Stewart wrote:
>

> > Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
> > >
> > > I use FreeBSD on my home computer the method of connection to provider
> > > is dial-up user PPP.I would like to know does something like timer of
> > > already spent on-line time exist?We have to pay on time-basis here in
> > > Germany even for local connections.So time spent is relevant for me.
> >
> > I use pppctl to look at the timers. There is an example in "man
> > pppctl" for the status. It shows you the connect time. You could do
> > 'pppctl to "show phy" | grep "Connect time"'. I use the local domain
> > socket and my show phy alias for root is
> >
> > status  (pppctl /var/run/internet show phy)
> >
> > I created an alias called "conn" by combining status and the grep. It
> > shows the connect time.
> >
> > I start user-ppp as root and you have to be logged in as the user that
> > started user-ppp to run pppctl.
>   I have not understood this sentence you said you starts user ppp as root
>   and afterwards you say :you have to be logged as user that started
> user-ppp so the obvious question is:must you be logged in as root or
> have you menat something other.

I meant that I have to be logged in as Root. It probably doesn't
matter for you because you probably start ppp from your current login
and would be logged in as the same user when you wanted to run pppctl.
I start user-ppp when I boot as root in the -auto mode. Everytime one
of my computers need the Internet FreeBSD dials out. Then, when I
telnet to the FreeBSD machine to get a status, I have to su to root
first and then I can run pppctl.

Regards,

Kent