Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:05:11 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Skipping certain ports, no upgrade of installed packages ...

Kiffin Gish wrote:
> How can prevent a given package from being reinstalled during the next
> portupgrade when I want to delete permanently?

Unfortunately the real answer here is for these ports to grow OPTIONS. In
that way your preferences will be saved in a convenient way that will work
with whatever port management tool you choose. The second most convenient
way would be to use sysutils/portconf, and add the IGNORE option that LoN
suggested. The least convenient way for you to do this and have it persist
across port tree upgrades is to write it directly into /etc/make.conf in the
manner LoN suggested.

> 2nd question: how can I just keep a given version without having it
> upgraded?

portupgrade introduced the idea of placing an +IGNOREME file in
/var/db/pkg/<portname>. I recently added support for that feature in
portmaster as well.

hth,

Doug