Date:      10 Mar 2003 16:10:04 -0600
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>
To:        Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount_null evil ?

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 15:32, Andrew J Caines wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > I?m currently developing a jail-management solution - I use a
> > readonly mount_null for central software-management of the jails.
> > The manpage was written May 1, 1995 - is using this tool still dangerous
>
> I have used it for read-only mounts since way back and have not have any
> problems, including brief periods of high I/O.
>
> I'd have reservations allowing unique data on a read-write mount, however
> I just did a few quick and simple tests of reads and writes on a rw null
> mount on my 4.8-RC box with no apparent problem.

I seemed to be able to crash the kernel regularly under FreeBSD 4.5 when
I used null mounts to share a read-only filesystem between jails.  My
application frequently rebuilt the jails by unmounting everything,
wiping out the old jail subdirectories, writing new jail subdirectories,
and remounting the shared read-only fs into each jail subdirectory.  I
gave up on null mounts and went back to having a separate copy of the
entire filesystem for each jail.

If null mounts work better now, I'll revisit it...

Guy

--
Guy Helmer <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>