Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2019 17:16:22 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: converting password hashes

Wojciech Puchar wrote this message on Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 13:13 +0100:
> i want to convert accouts from one system where there was mail-only
> accounts using dovecot/postfix based system and SQL tables to my system,
> where accounts are real unix accounts - that do mail and other things.
>
> I don't know all people's plaintext passwords, and i don't need to and
> want to, but i want new accounts to work with the same passwords
>
> in SQL tables there are entries like this:
>
> $1$aab7638c$Cn7BA/oU4mzr0QltXzV7Z0
>
> and these works by simple cut and paste to /etc/master.passwd file
>

> but there are entries like:
>
> {PLAIN-MD5}c575f55800a549930b9063b43af04f47
>
> that doesn't
>

> is there a way to make it work without contacting over hundred people and
> telling them what new password they have?

There's two ways, one is to write a PAM module or extend crypt(3) to
support the plain md5 format from postgresql.

The other option is to do what is called on-line conversion. Ask all
the affected users to login using their existing password, and as part
of the process, you now have their original password, so you jsut
re-crypt them w/ a compatible format, and then store and use the new
format.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579