Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:35:38 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        "Kal Torak" <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        "Jonathan Belson" <jon@witchspace.com>, "FreeBSD-stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: nVidia Cards /w FreeBSD (3D Acceleration)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kal Torak" <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc: "Jonathan Belson" <jon@witchspace.com>; "FreeBSD-stable"
<freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 6:34 PM

> [...]
> nVidia cards are really the ONLY choice to buy now... Not that Im
complaining,
> they are good cards, we just need some support for the more recent
ones!

nVidia won't release the source code nor let people outside nVidia
work freely on hardware accelerated OpenGL drivers, so the cards of
choice for FreeBSD systems probably are ATi Rage 128, ATi Radeon,
Matrox G4x0 or Intel based cards since those manufacturers have laid
the development of non-windows accelerated drives completely into the
hands of the DRI team (by contracting VA Linux systems, formerly known
as Precision Insight). Ofcourse, the DRI team is developing the kernel
modules for Linux, but at least, the modules are open source, which
makes them portable.

Greetings,

Michael Nottebrock