Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 1997 15:51:33 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Antti-Pekka Liedes <apl@mail.cs.hut.fi>
Cc:        randyd <randyd@nconnect.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serious instability with -current kernel

Hi,

> > > I've noticed similar behavior, but I spend most of my time running X and
> > > don't
> > > notice it there.  Try disabling moused and any screensaver you have in
> > > your
> > > /etc/rc.conf.  A while back the daemon saver did this to me.  Turning it
> > > off,
> > > eliminated the problem.
> Thanks, removing the screen saver solved my problem.  I had made world
> pretty recently, but obviously there was still something out of sync.

Obviously, it would be nice to know the exact nature of the problem.  Since
UP doesn't show the same problems its probably not a simple sync problem.

Is the UP kernel you successfully tested with as new as the SMP kernel
that fails?

If not, could you build one with the same sources as the failing SMP kernel
and see if the screensaver lkm then causes it to fail?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by