Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 12:32:08 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   de0 driver autosense fail... doesn't reset

I recently upgraded with a couple of  SMC 8432T (Dec 21041 type) ether cards
which use the 'de' driver.

The primitives who run this hospital routinely switch off the power to test
their generator. This gives anything up to 20 secs blackout. While the
servers are protected by UPS, the UTP hubs aren't (they aren't under our
control). Previously the servers would recover network failure gracefully.
Now the de0 driver reports: 'autosense failed: cable problem?' and shuts
down the interface. I haven't yet succeeded in reactivating the interface
without rebooting.

This is obviously not a desirable solution, and I'd prefer that the return
of patent ethernet on the card was detected.

Questions:

a) is there something I can do to workaround the problem?

b) is it a hardware or driver problem? Will it be rectified, or shall I junk
the cards and get something different which works better?

Thanks for your help.

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/