Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 17:00:45 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Mariusz Potocki <potok@free.polbox.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xterm is only black&white

Mariusz Potocki:
 |I just installed 2.2.1R  on my computer and I can't find the
 |reason that my xterm is only black and white.
 |On second machine which was upgraded from 2.1.5R xterm appears in
 |colours.
 |I tried to install color_xterm from 2.1.5, but it is still monochrome.
 |In my home directory I have in .Xresources *customization -color.
 |So where is the clue?

1) First, verify that the "*customization: -color" is making it into your
   RESOURCE_MANAGER property.  Log into X and in an xterm, run:

         xrdb -query | grep customization

   verify that it prints:

         *customization: -color

   If not, you need to update your ~/.xinitrc.  For now,
   "xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources" and check again.

2) Verify you have the appropriate XTerm-color app-default file installed
   at:  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color.  This file should
   exist and contain lines of the form:

         *VT100*color0: black
         *VT100*color1: red3
         *VT100*color2: green3
         *VT100*color3: yellow3

3) Verify that your environment will let XTerm find this file.  For testing
   use (assuming csh/tcsh syntax):

         unsetenv XAPPLRESDIR
         unsetenv XUSERFILESEARCHPATH
         setenv   XFILESEARCHPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%T/%N%C%S:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/%T/%N%S

4) You should now almost surely have color capability.  Fire up and xterm
   and try a few tests.  If all else fails, use ktrace to see what's going on:

         su
         ktrace /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
         ^C
         kdump | <your-favorite-pager>

   search down to "app-defaults" and verify it's finding XTerm-color.

5) Also verify that you're really running the XFree 3.3 xterm.  Specify the
   full path when running it, and also verify the file's cksum:

         # cksum /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
         2269656569 151552 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

Best of luck.  BTW, I'm running 2.2.1 w/ both XFree 3.3's xterm as
well as some colour_xterm's linked with Xaw3d and neXtaw, so feel free to mail
me if you have any further questions.

Randall Hopper