Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:50:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF transition for ports

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * Does this mean that from now on the version number of such Elf shared
>  * libraries will be always be higher by one?  For example, if the original
>  * library version goes from 6.4 to 7.0 -- say it's X11R7 :-) -- then will
>  * the FreeBSD Elf version be 8 since we are using 7 for 6.4?
>
> It might or might not.  Actually, the same thing will happen if the
> original version goes from 6.4 to 6.5, ours will be at version 8.

What is wrong with doing as some oports do when they natively detect ELF,
namely:

lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel       13 Sep 16 10:56 libICE.so@ -> libICE.so.6.3
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel       13 Sep 16 10:56 libICE.so.6@ -> libICE.so.6.3
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    79424 Sep 16 10:56 libICE.so.6.3*

It worries me that if there is a rapidly-changing port somewhere which
likes to bump its' minor version number, that before long we'll find
ourselves using libfoo.so.28 for libfoo.so.1.27. Is there something I've
missed about why the above cannot work?

Kris