Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:47:20 +0100
From:      Juan Rodriguez <juan.fco.rodriguez@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.3 hangs on high network load

Hello everyone,

Just for your information (because I guess there's nothing
else we can do....), I will describe the setup I've got
in case anyone would like to reproduce the problem and
try to fix it.

I'm using FreeBSD 5.3.0 RELEASE on an Pentium I MMX 233,
with 128 MB of RAM (minus 1 MB that my onboard VGA card
takes off). The motherboard is ASUS SPv97 (or something like that)

I've disabled ACPI and I boot on safe mode, but my computer
still gets stalled (tho it doesn't show any panic nor any other
output) after a few minutes running what I will describe below.

I've got another computer running Windows98, I run eMule
on this computer and the sharing folders are located on
the FreeBSD machine, so I use samba to log on Windows
and to access the appropiate folders.

After a few minutes running samba with high network load
between these machines, my FreeBSD box hangs up....strangely,
the led of the switch that connects both machines continues
blinking...but the FreeBSD box doesn't respond neither
to the keyboard nor to pings probes.

The network card is a cheap realteak (rl driver).

I'd really like to see this problem fixed as soon as possible.
Thanks!