Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:46:28 -0500
From:      "Douglas G. Allen" <dallen@roe35.lth2.k12.il.us>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compatibility Question

Matt,

>Interesting, I've always personally thought ECC to be somewhat overrated
>and certaintly overpriced. Granted I do not have that much expierence in
>comparison to some, but I have a machine here running 512M of non-ECC for
>over a year now without any ram-related problems. (HD did die once though)

I'm moving all servers to ECC memory.  I think if you were running True
Parity (where the second number is divisible by 9), you'd be ok though -
based upon my machine at home.

>I don't know, 512M (2x256) of ECC RAM will cost me 2,200$ - that's an
>awful nasty hit to be taking for what the server will do, which is a
>generally nasty business called shell services. In other words, there is
>no single client paying thousands of dollars for web hosting of their
>company's core page that will cost them (and me) a fortune for any
>downtime :) Given this situation, I've a hard time justifying that cost,
>which is only a few hundred dollars less then the *entire* machine is
>going to cost me, especially for it's role :)

I suggest you go look at http://www.crucial.com for memory.  It's Crucial's
website, which means it's Micron memory.  I think they had 256M ECC modules
for the PowerEdge listed for about $500 a piece.  I would say that the
price you were quoted is rather high.

Hope this helps with your questions.

						Doug Allen
						Tech Coordinator