Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 12:47:13 -0400
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@osmre.gov>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Release stability

Features are nice to have but the measure of any operating system is
how dependable it is.  In my book features account for about 20% and
dependability (in which I include both predictability and stability)
about 80% of the "quality" of a release.  Please, please, please do
not compromise the quality of 2.1.

If I remember correctly, the CSRG releases were "odd number ==
features added, even number == stable versions of the odd number"
(actually, maybe it was the other way around :-).  This scheme had a
lot going for it from the consumer's POV.  I suspect it also moderated
the expectations of the developers, at least during the bug-fix
release cycle.  Has (re-)adopting this philosophy been considered by
the core group?

Glen Foster