Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 1997 11:07:41 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Alan Batie <batie@aahz.jf.intel.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login classes

>  per-user process limit).  I've already hacked cron to add them in, and
>  now it looks like I need to hack smrsh so that vacation will run.

Hmm. Since sendmail runs at daemon resource level, this is the
problem here, regardless of which user it is deliverying to.
Changing your effective uid does not affect resources.

You're arguing it should, and that argument has merrit. However,
as in this case, it may not really be appropriate in all cases.
Certainly the kernel can't really know much about per-user
resource settings. It would make it simpler from an api point
of view, but it would probably result it being less configurable
and flexible (pretty much like we had before).

>  God help me if sendmail gives up root before invoking smrsh and I have to
>  hack *it*.  Especially when I have two days left before I leave...

I don't see why this is necessary. Increase resources in your *daemon*
class since that's what applies here. The user's resources aren't
involved except when it comes to counting resource use for that user.

>  Here's the patch to cron:

Cron in 2.2-stable has already been fixed to use user class resources
as of a couple of weeks ago. Its original omission was an oversight.

Regards,
David

--
David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/