Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 2009 05:00:34 +0000
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        "Anh K. Hu???nh" <xkyanh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: build a port that depends on Java

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 09:57:37AM +0700, Anh K. Hu???nh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am going to build a port (named `vue`, http://vue.tufts.edu/) that
> depends on Java libraries but I don't know how to set the
> dependencies (the RUN_DEPENDS variable in `Makefile`). I know some
> kinds of Java and don't know which one should be used. At least, Vue
> works well with OpenJDK6.

You want to have a look at the Makefiles of other programs that use
java. E.g azureus

$ less /usr/ports/net-p2p/azureus/Makefile

> Another problem is that the original file for port is in `.zip`
> format. As far as I know `.zip` isn't natively supported in FreeBSD.
> Should I convert that file to `.tar.gz` format and redistribute in
> my site (instead of using file from VUE master site?). Though using
> "EXTRACT_DEPENDS=unzip:${PORTSDIR}/archivers/unzip" is possible I
> think such usage is so expensive :)

I think that you use:

USE_ZIP=	yes

It's mentioned in the porter's handbook which you should read. You can
also find out by looking at a Makefile again E.g print/cm-super

The porter's handbook tells you how to go about writing a Makefile. Any
questions you may have about porting software should be addressed to
ports@, IIRC.

Porters Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

> Thank you for your helps,