Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 21:28:55 +0900 (JST)
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        imp@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCCardd

Why is pccardd so late in the startup? I notice that it is being
compiled static (through direct CFLAGS specification, instead of setting
NOSHARED, though), but...

Since aic0 is an indispensible part of my system (it has my local/, my
X11R6, my dumpdev and my /var/crash, among other things), I finally
tired of waiting my setup script finish post-boot, and decided to see if
I could get pccardd to do what flag -z does (man pages are wonderful :).

Motivated, I further investigated /etc/rc, and moved pccard
initialization to right before swapon, edited my fstab, added dumpdev to
my /etc/rc.conf (with the -z), moved pccard* and logger to /sbin and
voila'! Things now work as I need them to.

Now, I know the new card stuff is going to be very different, but will I
have the ability to get my aic drives up and running before swapon gets
run? Depending on how things are planned to work, I'd suggest adding
some sort of flag by which devices that need to get going earlier, such
as aic, can be probed for separately (and earlier) than those that need
to be brought up later, for whatever reasons.

MMMmmmmm. Maybe I should cc this somewhere. :-) I'll cc it to -mobile.

--
Daniel C. Sobral		  (8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

Those who express random thoughts to legislative committees are often
surprised and appalled to find themselves the instigators of law.
		-- Mark B. Cohen