Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:30:04 -0500
From:      ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   trouble with sendmail on a new host.

Hello again to all.
I am encountering a really strange problem, and it may be that I am
missing an obvious step.
Today, I just added a host to my domain: media.dcoisp.net.  It is a
freeBSD 2.2.5-realease box.  It is running sendmail.  The sendmail came
with the freebsd distribution.
I have successfully added the entry to my dns files, IE, the IN A
records and the PTR records.  Unfortunately, no remote email is getting
through to this host.  Local email is delivered just fine, but not
remote email.  I have made no changes to the sendmail.cf file or any of
that since installing the software.  My question is:
Does there need to be an mx record in my database files for named?  I
wouldn't think so, since none of my other machines have mx records, and
the two machines that are freebsd boxes send and receivve mail without a
hitch.
Here is another question.
Back when I started my hole network, my isp was taking care of dns
issues for me, as well as internic related issues.  I have read some
internic faqs and the like, and I didn't get the idea that I have to
register a new host each time I add one to my network right?  Only if I
was making this host a nameserver would I have to register the host with
the internic?
The error that gets generated by the remote mailer on the remote machine
is: illegal host domain found.
Anyone have any ideas?
Like I was saying, all the other freebsd boxes work as they should, just
not this new host.
Thanks.
Jeremy