Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 2015 20:20:36 -0500
From:      Dutch Ingraham <stoa@gmx.us>
To:        Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 64bit P4 vs mfsBSD

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 08:00:12PM -0400, Quartz wrote:
> >can you get a
> >dmesg that will advise of the processor attributes?  You're looking for
> >"LM," (long mode).  If that is there, it is a 64-bit processor.
>
> Does that work on linux? I can't get a dmesg off bsd until I figure out how
> to boot it. Also, where exactly am I looking? On a different machine running
> FreeBSD the only thing in dmesg I see that looks right is "AMD
> Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>". Is that the right line?

Seems everyone has a different concept of what should be in a dmesg.
Linux may or may not have this info - my Slackware does not seem to, but
it does have enough processor information (<dmesg | grep -i intel>) to
search the web for that particular processor's attributes.

If you have Linux running, <lscpu> will also work.

Freebsd's dmesg at the "Features" and the "AMD Features" you cited will
contain that info, and yes, that "LM" means long mode, or in other
words, x86_64.

A decent explaination is here:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/43539/what-do-the-flags-in-proc\
-cpuinfo-mean