Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:30:01 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie, Sean Harding <sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost root shell

On Mon, 13 April 1998 at 16:38:46 +0000, Niall Smart wrote:
> On Apr 13,  8:10am, Sean Harding wrote:
>> Subject: RE: Lost root shell

>>> I hate that kind of sh**.
>>
>> Wait a minute. Questions is the official support list. the CD says
>> "questions#freebsd.org" on it. The web pages have this address. You can
>> not honestly expect people to join this list prioir to asking questions.
>> It's different with newsgroups and it's different with other lists. This
>> is one place that you need to be aware that *most* of the questions come
>> from people who aren't on the list.
>
> -questions is official in so much that is is hosted on hardware
> owned by people/companies who are involved with FreeBSD.  The people
> who read and reply to the questions asked are mostly FreeBSD users
> who have volunteered to help people out with sensible questions.
>
> I find it incredibly annoying when people seemingly expect others
> to dutifully provide a 12 page answer within the next 15 minutes
> and drop it right on their doorstep.  I expect those who post
> questions to the list to show the same willingness to participate
> as I do, i.e. by subscribing and discussing the problem on the
> list.
>
> I also reject out of hand that you cannot expect people to join
> the list, the fact that the original poster requested a personal
> reply indicates that he is perfectly aware how such lists usually
> operate.  Many, if not most of the discussions are relevant to
> all readers, hence they should be kept on the list.  -questions
> is not an initial contact point of a one-to-one support line.
>
> I don't care how important the problem is for you, whether root's
> shell is missing, the hard disk is on fire, or the president can't
> send email -- if you expect me to read the list to answer questions,
> I expect you to read the list for replies -- no exceptions.

The "official" standpoint is different.  We do want people to be able
to send messages to the list without be subscribed.  That's why I
recommend answering to the sender as well as to the list.

You might benefit by reading http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.  I
send it out every Friday, so you should already have seen it.

Greg