Date:      15 Apr 1998 21:14:51 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        Peter Jeremy <Peter.Jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package management (was Re: Come on guys, close a PR or two, will ya ?)

Peter Jeremy <Peter.Jeremy@alcatel.com.au> writes:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:30:15 +0200 (CEST), Marino Ladavac <lada@pc8811.gud.siemens.at> wrote:
> >I could take a look at it if you don't mind SystemV packaging style.
> Some disadvantages of the SysV package style (or at least Sun's
> implementation thereof):
>
> If we're thinking about replacing the existing package management
> tools, we'd be better off defining exactly what we want the tools
> to do, before porting the package management tools from another OS.

Umm... why not use RPM?   The tools are all freely available... it's
been around for a while...  whatever gui's and crap come from linux
will work just fine... *it's already a freebsd port*...  So the only
work involved would be adding "make rpm" to bsd.ports.mk.

Or is this a GPL issue?

--

Steve Farrell