Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 21:31:17 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 18gig drive's supported?

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Tom wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > 	Surprisingly, I did...when I upgraded the system to its currently
> > level...:(  Now I've got sysinstall upgraded and installed, but when I go
> > to 'label' or 'fdisk', it auto-presents me with da0, but doesn't give me
> > the old choices of working with any of the other drives...did I miss a new
> > command line switch her or something like that?  Have read man pages, have
> > built a new libdisk.a *just in case*...
>
>   Give up and use fdisk, disklabel, and newfs directly.  I think it was a
> mistake to re-invent the whell and re-develop all these functions and call
> it sysinstall.  sysinstall has problems with large DPT disks too, but
> disklable and newfs work fine directly.

	Actually, the only one that I use /stand/sysinstall for is the
fdisk part...disklabel and newfs I always use directly.  fdisk just isn't
"intuitive" to even the far extreme.  For instance, I just put a 9gig
drive into the machine, that was previously used under NetBSD.  Going in
through /stand/sysinstall, I can't fdisk the drive, which I find odd.  So,
using fdisk itself, I see:

hub# fdisk da2
******* Working on device /dev/rda2 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=1106 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=1106 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 1, size 17767889 (8675 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0;
        end: cyl 81/ sector 63/ head 254

I just read through the fdisk man page, and *nothing* jumped out at me as
to how I can fix this manually...

Ideas or suggestions?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org