Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:45:44 -0800
From:      Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
To:        Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reverse lookup troubleshooting

Hello Sean,

Sunday, November 18, 2001, 5:54:46 PM, you wrote:

SL> I recently experienced an EXTREME slowdown in logging into my FreeBSD
SL> box via SSH. After looking about a bit to try to figure this out, I saw
SL> that this is a common problem, and it's usually associated with a problem
SL> in doing reverse lookups. It's odd, since it wasn't happening a little
SL> while ago on my LAN, but I also noticed it on a Linux box, too. So I
SL> added entries for other boxes on the LAN into the /etc/hosts files on
SL> the *nix machines and the slowdown went away.

Same thing happened to me, and I fixed it the same way.  :^)

SL> However, I don't know how to really fix the problem...are there good
SL> troubleshooting tools for this? I did look around a bit on this, but all
SL> I found was some code someone had pasted into an email that was archived.
SL> It didn't compile, so that was a dead end for me.

The answer to having slow reverse DNS lookups is of course having way
for the machines to find each other through DNS.

Adding the files to /etc/hosts seems like a perfectly good solution to
me.  As long as your lan is pretty stable and doesn't change much,
this should work fine.

Of course you could also run BIND on one of your unix machines.
Running DNS internally should fix the problem too, and only require
configuration changes in one place.

HTH

brian

--