Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:13:21 +0200 (EET)
From:      Mike Dracopoulos <mdraco@math.uoa.gr>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   duplicate blocks in shared ext2 partition

Hi,

I am running both FreeBSD and Linux sharing an ext2 /home (on a
dedicated disk).

Occasionally (say once every month or two), FreeBSD complains on
bootup about /home and asks to run fsck on it.  Here is a record of
what happened last time:

1) I was running FreeBSD day after day for quite some time

2) I rebooted to Linux to check something, no problems so far.

3) Back to FreeBSD, I get the complaint about /home

4) Reboot to Linux, and the boot-time fsck gives me:

   Inode 51214, i_block is 4, should be 2...
   Duplicate or bad blocks in use
   Duplicate blocks found, invoking duplicate block passes
   /dev/hdc1: Duplicate/bad block(s) in inode 100354 ...
   /dev/hdc1: Duplicate/bad block(s) in inode 163924 ...
   There are 2 inodes containing duplicate/bad blocks
   /dev/hdc1: File "SOME_FILE_A" (inode #163924, modified ... Feb 18...)
     has 1 duplicate block, shared with 2 files
   /dev/hdc1: <filesystem metadata>
   /dev/hdc1: "SOME_FILE_B" (inode #100354, modified ... Feb 15 ...)

   /dev/hdc1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

5) Running fsck and accepting everything, solves the problem for the
   time being.

Please note, that FILE_A and B are unrelated context-wise and in terms
of directory structure wise and modification/creation times, and not
always the same 2 that trigger this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

       Mike Dracopoulos