Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:06:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Yandle <joe@wlcg.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of JDK for FreeBSD?

> Impossible.  Sun enforces unique usernames, the entire subject was a
> reasonable thing to ask, but absolutely not a worry.

I didn't mean that everyone would register using 'asdf123' as their
username.  I was saying that when people have to register for something
that they don't plan on ever using again, they generally type 'asdf'.
Since usernames have to be unique on any real system, the system will
respond with something like "We're sorry, but username 'asdf' is already
taken.  However, 'asdf109' is still available".  The 109 comes from the
fact that asdf[0-108] are already taken by other lazy people who didn't
feel like having a real username.

So when a sysadmin sees a lot of these usernames, it's a sign that people
aren't taking things seriously.  This could lead to Sun ignoring the
multitude of votes that are liklely to result from a slashdot effect.

Of course, they might not check or care.

Joe Yandle
Internet Programmer
Westlake Consulting Group