Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:00:02 -0700
From:      "Erik Stainsby" <stainsby@telus.net>
To:        "Jaime Kikpole" <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>, "Forrest Aldrich" <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cyrus SASL

Cyrus IMAP has moved on from the 1.5.19 that is in the ports collection.
Current Syrus (last week) was 1.6.   The 1.6 series requires Cyrus SASL
(Simple Authentication and Security Layer).  This seems to me from my
limitted experience with it (mostly frustrating) to be a re-invention of the
PAM architecture:  a generalized middleware for configurable authentication.

I was attempting to establish Cyrus imap because it uses a directory-mailbox
architecture with message-per-file rather than mbox.  I've had too many mbox
corruptions recently.  I had no particular success installing the Cyrus
IMAP/SASL couple.  The documentation I'm afraid is attrocious from an
implementation/administration standpoint.
Another wonderful looking in-house application that is publicshed without
translating the experience needed to operate it  into useful doc for
newcomers to the app. <sigh>

As a final plea if anyone has found admin level instruction (as opposed to
programmer's) on how to use the server/setup accounts/maintain the
environment  I would very much appreciate a note of direction.

Cheers,
    Erik
    stainsby@telus.net
  There was no year zero.
   The next millenium begins January 1, 2001.